Pie crust can be tricky... If it's overcooked in the slightest, it will come out tough and break easily. In this video, learn how to make the perfect flaky homemade pie crust that will be the perfect compliment to any pie filling.
* 2 1/2 cups of flour
* 1/2 cup shortening
* 1/2 cup salted butter
* 1 Tablespoon salt
1. Add first 3 ingredients together, stir.
2. Put in butter until it reaches a pea-size chunks.
3. Add water.
4. Mix ingredients together with hands and divide into two even balls of dough.
5. Shake out some flour onto a clean surface.
6. Take one of the balls of dough, slightly flatten it, and begin to roll it out evenly, into a large circle.
7. Gently fold in half, then half again, and place into pie tin or plate, and unfold completely.
8. Cut off excess from edges; fold under edges; press edges down gently with fork. You are now ready to fill with your filling of choice.
9. Bake at 475 degrees F for 10-15 minutes, then turn temperature down to 350 degrees F until done (30-45 minutes depending on pie filling).
Yield: Makes enough for 1 double crust pie (top and bottom), or enough for 2 bottom crust pies.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.