Celebrate the goodness of old-fashioned candied apples with this Holiday Kitchen recipe, where you'll learn how to make Puff-Wrapped Caramel Apples, the perfect dessert-style appetizers for any holiday party. These puff pastry snacks are a presentation worthy of a dinner party dessert, with a cinnamon apple flavor!
1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet), thawed
4 medium granny smith apples, peeled
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp water
1/2 cup prepared caramel sauce
vanilla ice cream
flour for rolling
Thaw: 40 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 25 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
1. Take out a package of Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets and remove one from the box. Let it thaw on the counter for 40 minutes - or overnight in the fridge. Return the second to the freezer.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
3. Stir together the cinnamon and sugar in a shallow bowl.
4. Make an egg wash for the pastry by beating an egg with one tablespoon of water in a small bowl with a fork or whisk.
5. Using a melon baller, scoop the cores out of the peeled apples from the top, making sure to leave the bottoms intact.
6. Coat the apples with the cinnamon mixture and spoon 2 tablespoons of the caramel sauce into the center of each apple.
7. Lightly flour your surface and unfold one pastry sheet. Roll the pastry sheet into a 10x9-inch rectangle. Cut it into 9 (1x10-inch) strips.
8. Take 2 of the strips and press the ends together to make one 20-inch strip. Repeat this with 6 of the remaining pastry strips. Cut 8 leaf shapes from the last pastry strip.
9. Wrap the apples with the pastry strips--starting at the bottom, wind 1 pastry strip around 1 apple, slightly overlapping the edges of the pastry. Top each with 2 pastry leaves.
10. Brush the pastries with the egg mixture and place the apples onto a baking sheet.
11. Bake for 25 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Start your career in Graphic Design with the WonderHowTo's Beginners’s Guide to Photoshop Course