How to Make appetizing caramel apples wrapped in puff pastry
Celebrate the goodness of old-fashioned candied apples with this Holiday Kitchen recipe, where you'll learn how to make Puff-Wrapped Caramel Apples, the perfect dessert-style appetizers for any holiday party. These puff pastry snacks are a presentation worthy of a dinner party dessert, with a cinnamon apple flavor!
1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet), thawed
4 medium granny smith apples, peeled
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp water
1/2 cup prepared caramel sauce
vanilla ice cream
flour for rolling
Thaw: 40 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 25 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
1. Take out a package of Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets and remove one from the box. Let it thaw on the counter for 40 minutes - or overnight in the fridge. Return the second to the freezer.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
3. Stir together the cinnamon and sugar in a shallow bowl.
4. Make an egg wash for the pastry by beating an egg with one tablespoon of water in a small bowl with a fork or whisk.
5. Using a melon baller, scoop the cores out of the peeled apples from the top, making sure to leave the bottoms intact.
6. Coat the apples with the cinnamon mixture and spoon 2 tablespoons of the caramel sauce into the center of each apple.
7. Lightly flour your surface and unfold one pastry sheet. Roll the pastry sheet into a 10x9-inch rectangle. Cut it into 9 (1x10-inch) strips.
8. Take 2 of the strips and press the ends together to make one 20-inch strip. Repeat this with 6 of the remaining pastry strips. Cut 8 leaf shapes from the last pastry strip.
9. Wrap the apples with the pastry strips--starting at the bottom, wind 1 pastry strip around 1 apple, slightly overlapping the edges of the pastry. Top each with 2 pastry leaves.
10. Brush the pastries with the egg mixture and place the apples onto a baking sheet.
11. Bake for 25 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream.