Banana bread has always been a favourite treat whether it was fresh from nanna's oven or from the local bakery. The addition of Mars Bars or another one of your favourite chocolate bars can be a great addition for the kids as long as they eat their vegetables first.
This is a great recipe for those on a budget as you can use older ingredients that you normally wouldn't.
- 150g of butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 2 cups (300g) self-rising flour
- 3 x 60 g Mars Bars, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1 cup (150g) icing sugar
- 3 tbs caramel topping
- 3 tbs hot water
Use old bananas that have started to become brown and old as this won't affect the ooutcome of the cake and you won't have to throw them away.
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 7 x 11 x 21cm loaf pan with non-sticking baking paper.
Beat butter and brown sugar until pale and creamy; then beat in eggs and mashed bananas.
Combine flour and Mars Bars. Fold into the butter mixture with milk.
Spoon into pan and bake for 50-55 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Combine icing sugar, caramel topping and 2 tsp hot water. Drizzle over the cake to serve.
- Banana and Mars Bar cake is best served as a snack for afternoon tea or as a treat after dinner.
- This cake can be also be made into cup cakes.
- It's great for school/community fundraisers.
Enjoy this wonderful recipe with your family and friends.