A tender, flaky crust is what separates a good pie from a great one. Learn how to make a basic pie crust from scratch with this how to video.
You Will Need
* 2 c flour
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 c vegetable shortening, lard, or butter, chilled
* ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons ice water
* A mixing bowl
* A fork
* A dough blender or food processor
* A rolling pin
* An 8-inch pie pan
* Two sheets of wax paper
* A sharp knife
Whisk the flour & salt together in a bowl. Add the shortening, and with a dough blender, or in a food processor, cut the shortening into the salted flour until the mix is full of pea-size pieces.
Drizzle 3 tablespoons of ice-cold water over the dough, and mix it in with a fork until the dough is moistened, adding more water, five or six drops at a time, just until the dough sticks together. Form a ball, split the ball in half, and wrap the two balls separately in plastic wrap. Put them in the refrigerator.
After 30 minutes, take one half of the dough out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for a minute. Dust a flat surface with flour. Put the dough on the flat surface, and flatten the ball with the heel of your hand.
Roll the pin from the center of the dough outward a few times. Pick up the dough and turn it 90 degrees. Once again, roll from the center outward. Repeat twice more, until you've turned the dough 360 degrees and have a 9-inch round that is about ¼-inch thick.
Carefully pick up the crust and place it in the pie plate. Trim off the excess dough so the crust fits inside the plate.
Add your pie filling. Set the pie aside, and take your second ball of dough out of the fridge. Leave it on the counter for a minute or two, and then roll it out. When it's the right size and shape, cover the filling with it.
Tuck the edges of the top crust under the edges of the lower crust, & press together.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades