Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch oval, glass baking dish.
To prepare cake: Beat 6 eggs until fluffy. Beat in 3/4 cup sugar until smooth and thick. Fold in 1 1/4 cups cake flour, nutmeg and salt. Stir in melted butter. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until center springs back when lightly touched. Let cool 10 minutes in pan before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. Split cake horizontally into two layers.
To prepare filling: combine 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup cake flour, 5 egg yolks, water and vanilla in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook and stir until thickened, 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
To prepare topping: Place reserved juice in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in gelatin and continue stirring until completely dissolved. Set aside.
To assemble: Return bottom cake layer to glass dish. Spread half the filling over the layer. Top with remaining layer and remaining filling. Arrange fruit cocktail on top and cover with gelatin mixture. Chill 4 to 8 hours, until set.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades