Tiramisù is a great Italian dessert that everyone can enjoy. Traditionally, it consists of layers of sponge cake soaked in coffee and brandy or liqueur, with powdered chocolate and mascarpone cheese, but it doesn't always have to be made that way, but it almost always is, just like in this recipe.
Adria Handley demonstrates how to assemble this popular Italian dessert. Starting with a sweetened mascarpone (Italian triple-cream cheese) mixture and liqueur and coffee-soaked ladyfingers, alternating layers are built in a springform pan. Dust with powdered sugar and cocoa, and refrigerate overnight.
* 3 egg yolks
* ½ cup sugar
* 1 lb mascarpone cheese
* 1½ cups coffee
* ½ cup Kahlua
* ½ cup amaretto liqueur
* about 36 ladyfingers
* ½ cup cocoa powder
* ½ cup confectioners sugar
1. Beat eggs and sugar on high speed in stand mixer with whisk attachment or with hand mixer until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes
2. Add the mascarpone and beat again until fluffy, 4-5 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together amaretto, Kahlua and coffee.
4. Begin to build the tiramisu in the springform pan by spreading about ¼ of the mascarpone mixture on the bottom
5. Follow by dipping each ladyfinger quickly into the coffee mixture (don't hold in too long - they disintegrate quickly!), then laying one flat layer atop mascarpone layer. Be sure to use partial ladyfingers to fill in all the gaps
6. Repeat mascarpone layer, then ladyfinger layer two more times. Alternate direction of the ladyfingers every other layer. Finish with a final layer of mascarpone
7. Stir together cocoa powder and confectioners sugar. Sift over the top
8. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight before serving. This will help layers to solidify
9. Run knife along edge of pan before releasing spring, and removing outer ring
10. Slice into 12 pieces. For plating, sprinkle with confectioners sugar and serve with fresh raspberries, creme anglaise, raspberry sauce and/or chocolate sauce
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.