Ghost chiles. They're the hottest chili peppers known to man, and they come from India. They're rated at over one million Scoville units. The typical jalapeño pepper only has between 2500 and 6000 Scoville units. You don't need liquor to get messed up on these jello shots!
Retro Jello is lit up with the power of the world's hottest pepper - the Ghost Chile. First, steep these 5-alarm wonders in water, then blend them to evenly distribute the heat. Once the Jello mix gets added, they're off to chill for 2-3 hours. After that, stand back - that first fruity slurp is eye-popping!
* 2 dried ghost chiles (Bhut Jolokia), torn in half
* 1 cup boiling water
* 1 package Jello (any flavor, but watermelon & cherry are best)
* 1 cup cold water
* latex-free gloves
* 2 or 4 oz plastic portion cups
1. With gloved hands, place torn ghost chiles in a small, heat-proof container
2. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and pour over chiles. Allow to steep 10-15 minutes to release flavor and heat and re-constitute the dried peppers
3. Carefully add chiles and water to a blender (there will be fumes from the chiles, so pour slowly). Blend for about 1 minute
4. Next, the process is just like making jello. Bring the mixture back up to a boil (on stove top or in microwave)
5. Once water is at a boil, whisk in powdered jello mix and the pepper puree. Whisk 30 seconds to 1 minute to assure that all of the crystals have dissolved
6. Whisk in 1 cup cold water and portion into 2 to 4 oz plastic condiment cups, and refrigerate 2-3 hours
7. Enjoy....with caution!
Have an iPhone? Check out all 200+ new features coming in iOS 13.