If you're not sure what sabayon is, maybe you know the term zabaglione, which is an Italian dessert of whipped, heated egg yolks, sugar, and Marsala wine. It can be served hot or cold, and can house many different accompanying ingredients, like berries and mint!
We're able to get fresh berries from all over the world any time we want. But they never taste as good as when they're in-season at your neighborhood markets. William Kovel, Culinary Consultant at 28 Degrees, assembles an ethereal dessert with blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. Fresh mint and a touch of both lemon juice and zest make this gem smell as amazing as it looks. A Marsala wine-flavored sabayon requires a little moxie with the whisk, but you can do it and trust us, it is so worth it.
* 2 pints raspberries
* 1 pint blueberries
* 1 pint black raspberries or blackberries
* 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
* 1 tsp lemon zest
* 1-2 tbsp sugar
* freshly-ground black pepper
* 5 egg yolks
* ¼ cup dry marsala wine
* ¼ cup sugar
* 1 tsp lemon juice
* ½ cup heavy whipping cream
* 1 tbsp sugar
1. Keep berries at room temperature before mixing
2. Toss all berry ingredients together and set aside to macerate (soften in their own liquid)
1. Brice a saucepan with 1" of water to a simmer over low heat
2. Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl
3. In a separate heatproof bowl (that will rest atop saucepan without touching the water), whisk together egg yolks, sugar, marsala and lemon juice. Set bowl over the simmering water, and whisk vigorously until tripled in volume (you should be able to draw a 'figure 8' in the mixture). This will take about 7 minutes
4. Transfer bowl to the ice bath, and whisk vigorously until the mixture cools, about 1 minute
5. Whip heavy whipping cream and 1 tbsp of sugar to soft peaks. Gently fold 1 cup of the whipped cream into the cooling mixture
6. Spoon berries into dessert glasses or bowls and top with sabayon
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.