Nothing says Cuban like guava, and how do you get the most enjoyment out your guava? By massive amounts of it. That's where this name "Masa Real de Guayaba" comes from… a real mass of guava… in a small food bar. John Verlinden creates this delicious Cuban treat. A layer of thick sweet guava paste sandwiched between two layers of rich, dense cake makes a wonderful baked treat to bring to a party.
* 1 stick butter, room temperature
* 1 cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 tsp baking powder
* pinch of salt
* pinch of black pepper
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 tbsp water
* ? lb guava paste, sliced into ?" pieces
* 9" x 13" or 9" x 9"
* nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350° and spray 9" x 13" or 9" x 9" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
2. Blend the wet ingredients - butter, sugar and eggs - with a mixer
3. Sift the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, salt & pepper
4. Gradually mix the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients
5. Midway through mixing, add vanilla and water and continue mixing until ingredients are combined into a stiff batter.
6. Spread half of dough mixture onto the bottom of the baking pan
7. Place the guava paste slices over the layer, completely covering it
8. Spread the remaining batter evenly over the guava
9. Bake for about 30 minutes until lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
10. Let cool, then cut into 3" x 3" squares for serving
It’s Black Friday week on WonderHowTo! Don’t miss out on all of the big sales in the Gadget Hacks and Null Byte shops. And if you’ve been wanting to take some classes without going into debt, check out our best deals on online courses for a variety of skill sets. Don’t miss out on these huge discounts: