The internet has a fetish for fried food. Actually, scratch that. America has a fetish for fried food. So, if you're gonna dive right in that vat of oil, why not dive deep. Like calories and calories and calories deep.
Paula Deen, the Butter Queen (and cholesterol's mortal enemy), demonstrates how:
Just when you thought cheesecake couldn't be any worse for you!
Recipe via Paula Deen:
- 2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 7 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (4-ounce) bar white chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 30 oriental spring roll wrappers
- egg wash (whisk 1 egg with 1 cup milk)
- 1 (4-ounce) bar semisweet chocolate, chopped
- vegetable oil, as needed
- powdered sugar, as needed
- 8 ounce chocolate sauce, in squirt bottle
- whipped cream
Step 1 Preheat.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2 Make the crust.
In a medium bowl, combine cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Press firmly on bottom and 1-inch up sides of a 9-inch spring form pan. Bake 8 minutes.
Step 3 Make the batter.
In a large bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in melted chocolate.
Step 4 Bake and cool.
Carefully pour batter into the prepared crust. Bake 45 minutes. Then let cool completely on wire rack. Chill 8 hours before serving to set.
Step 5 Deep fry!
Cut the cheesecake into approximately 3 by 1-inch uniform pieces. Heat oil in deep-fryer to 365 degrees F. Lightly moisten each spring roll wrapper with the egg wash. Blot off excess egg wash with paper towels. Place each piece of cheesecake in the middle of a wrapper. Sprinkle with the chopped chocolate. Fold top of wrapper down over the cheesecake, and both sides toward the middle. Roll each piece of cheesecake toward you until it is completely rolled up. Make sure the egg roll is tightly packed with its edges sealed. Gently release egg rolls into the oil and cook until golden brown, roughly 2 minutes. Using tongs remove the golden-brown egg rolls from the oil. Place each egg roll in a bowl of powdered sugar and coat well. Place deep-fried rolls of cheesecake on paper towels to cool slightly before serving.
Step 6 Serve.
Drizzle with chocolate sauce and top with whipped cream.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades