This is a video recipe for royal icing. To keep your gingerbread house from collapsing, plain old icing won't do – you need royal icing! It's also great for decorating cakes and cookies. Learn how to make royal icing with this guide from Howcast.
You Will Need
* An electric mixer
* 4 c Confectioners' sugar
* 3 tbsp Meringue powder
* 6 tbsp Warm water
* .5 tsp Almond or vanilla extract
* Food coloring
Step 1: Mix it up
Using an electric mixer, beat the confectioners' sugar and meringue powder until they're combined. Add half a teaspoon of almond or vanilla extract if you like.
*Tip: If your grocery store doesn't stock meringue powder, look for it in craft and party stores.
Step 2: Add water
Add six tablespoons of warm water and beat on high until stiff peaks form, about six minutes.
*Tip: Stir in a few drops of food coloring, if desired.
Step 3: Keep it from stiffening
Royal icing hardens quickly. To prevent this from happening as you decorate, keep a damp cloth over the icing bowl while you work.
Step 4: Store it
Store extra icing in an airtight container in the fridge; it will keep for several days. When you're ready to use it, re-beat it to soften it. Add a tiny bit of water if necessary.
Royal icing got its name from being used on fruitcake, which was the traditional wedding cake for English royalty.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades