How to Make Indian style gulab jamun desserts
There a very few people who don't like gulab jamun, as for us, we just love them. It is a perfect dessert for any occasion - wedding, birthday party, potluck or a romantic dinner for 2! Watch this how-to video to learn how to make gulab jamun, a delicious Indian dessert.
Instant Dry Milk (Milk Powder) - 1/2 cup
All Purpose Flour - 2 tbsp
Yogurt - 2 tbsp
Clarified Butter - 1 tbsp
Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
Water - 2 cups
Sugar - 2 cups
Rose Essence - few drops, optional
Cardamom Powder - 1/2 tsp or to taste
Saffron - few strands, optional
Oil - for deep frying
1. Make the syrup in a pan by adding water, sugar, rose syrup, cardamom powder and saffron.
2. Put the pot on the flame and bring to boil. Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat and allow it to simmer.
3. Meanwhile, get the oil for deep-frying ready. Heat up the oil on low-to-medium heat.
4. For the dumpling, in a mixing bowl , add in all dry ingredients i.e instant dry milk , all purpose flour, baking soda.
5. Mix well and add in the clarified butter and after that slowly start mixing in the yogurt. Make into a dough.
6. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes. Make desired size balls, make sure they are smooth and do not have any creases.
7. Test the oil by dropping a small piece of dough, if it sits at the bottom of the pan for a minute before coming to the surface, the oil is ready.
8. Carefully drop 3-4 dumplings in the oil and keep rotating them for an even color.
9. Once the dumplings are a dark golden brown, take them out into a paper towel.
10. Bring the syrup to another quick boil and drop in the dumplings.
11. Turn off the flame and cover the gulab jamuns and let them soak in the syrup for 45 minutes to an hour.
12. Gulab jamuns can be served hot or cold. This recipe makes about 10-15 julab jamuns.