Sugar skulls, or "calaveras de azucar," are used to celebrate El dia de los Muertos, in honor of deceased friends and family. This video tutorial shows how to make sugar skulls with basic household ingredients. Once you've shaped the mixture into a skull shape, decorate and design with food coloring to suit your personal taste.
4 to 5 cups powdered sugar
1 egg white
1 TBS corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
Large plastic bag
In a large bowl mix the egg white, corn syrup, and vanilla. Add powdered sugar about two cups at a time until a dough ball forms and the dough is no longer wet looking. Remove dough from bowl and knead on a hard surface that has been dusted with powdered sugar. Keep kneading until dough is firm and stiff. Put about 1 cup of corn starch in the large plastic bag. Form dough into 1 inch balls and coat in starch filled bag. Place starch coated balls into large container. Cover container tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerator overnight. When ready to form skulls, take sugar ball and cup in hands for about 5 to 10 seconds to warm the ball slightly, so it will not crack while shaping. When ball becomes slightly pliable, form your skull. Set on tray and let dry overnight. Decorate with food coloring.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades